Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Let's Make a Cake...No Baking Required!

Let's Make a Cake...No Baking Required!


This little cutie is one of my favorites!  I made the whole thing (pretty much) from stickers and papers I purchased at our new Hobby Lobby.  I hadn't purchased single sheets of paper in years, but it was so fun picking out the papers to make cakes!



 There's nothing quite like the solid dimension of a thick, wrapped canvas to make my heart sing.  I loved punching out pieces of old paper with a circular punch, cutting them and placing them around the sides of the canvas to add to the decor.  



 This whole cake was painted on the canvas (sort of willy nilly) and I used a sticker for the "I love my life," part.  When I bought the stickers it seemed like a good idea, but the first one I put on a piece got ripped back off because I hated the shine from the sticker that make it all too obvious that it was a sticker.  Cut to a few months later, and I've learned a trick I'll tell you now.  If you have stickers that you want to put on a piece but you hate how they end up looking WRONG in the middle of your wonderfully painted piece....because of the shine of the sticker....go over the sticker with Elmer's glue.  Just paint a layer of it over the sticker smoothly with a brush and let dry.  The sticker above had that terrible shine to it that separated it from the rest of the piece until I added the layer of Elmer's glue.  Now it looks like a piece of vellum that I just collaged on.  It gives the piece a totally different look....one with which I am much more satisfied.  Try it!!!



Another thing I did when creating these cakes was to search on the internet for cute little cake sayings.  Found a bunch I liked and some I made up in the process and wrote them all down to use in future pieces.



Some of you might be like me, and have bought just a ton of scrapbooking embellishments over the years because they are so cute and you just can't help yourself!!!  I have done this for many a year....and have quite the collection.  Making these cakes has given me an opportunity to make use of the gazillions of letters I've collected and more.  (I knew I'd find a good use for them one day....SOME DAY!!!)  I even used wallpaper for the bottom layer of this cake shown above.  Painted it the light blue color and then went back over it with a piece of yellow ochre chalk to bring out the raised details (the raised print of the wallpaper.)



This last one is still a work in progress, but it gives you an idea as to my process.  I love adding the falling dots with daubers...it's like, "sprinkle it with fabulous!!!"  

I even started adding little cakes to the journals I hand paint....thinking they would be a lovely addition to the kitchen where you can glue stick your dessert recipes (or any recipes) for future reference.

OK.  That's what I've been up to...how about you???

Thanks for letting me share, 

Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment